BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE JOB
Term Duration: 4 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: International Recruitment
Location: Washington, DC, United States;
Required Language(s): English
Closing Date: 10/16/2023
IFC — a member of the World Bank Group — is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2023, IFC committed a record US$43.7 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
The Global Energy (CEMEN) unit, in collaboration with the regional industry groups, is responsible for IFC’s energy business, including power generation with a focus on renewables, transmission and distribution, and innovative clean energy technologies such as battery storage and green hydrogen. CEMEN is looking to recruit a Principal Investment Officer (PIO) to lead on CENEM priorities related to sector strategy and expertise, knowledge creation and sharing, innovation, deal structuring guidance, and global client relationship and business development.
This position is preferably based in Washington DC, with other locations being considered based on business needs.
Duties and Accountabilities
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Be the lead for a series of power sub-sector(s) such as solar, wind, transmission, distribution, battery storage, etc. (“Hub Lead”) and be the focal investment specialist supporting management and investment teams globally in business development, project structuring and execution as well as the approval process for such a hub;
- Develop IFC value proposition and lead global business strategy development and implementation in select power sub-sectors of specialization;
- Be the client relationship manager for select global energy clients to manage and develop client relationships;
- Lead knowledge management and contribute to knowledge sharing and dissemination across IFC’s regional sector groups, with an emphasis on knowledge to support business development, market creation, innovation and risk management;
- Work closely with senior management, with other WBG units, and external stakeholders on energy sector and sub-sector strategy, and implementation plan;
- Actively monitor industry and market trends, participate in industry events and build sector relationships globally; and
- Lead World Bank Group initiatives and IFC participation in events related to the energy transition (conferences, annual meetings, etc.)
- Mentor and coach less-experienced staff and help build talent and grow skill base of staff.
- Master’s degree in finance, economics or similar relevant education;
- 12+ years of relevant experience, preferably with several years at a development finance institution;
- Significant investment and sector experience and recognition in power, with sub-sector specialization and expertise;
- Proven ability to develop and implement power sector business strategies and knowledge management globally;
- Strong track record in project development, origination, structuring, and portfolio management of power sector transactions in developing countries;
- Familiarity with multiple financial products ranging from project finance to quasi-equity and straight equity;
- Demonstrated ability to innovate and create new opportunities across sub-sectors and financing products;
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with clients, government authorities, industry groups and experts;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and sound business judgment to identify issues and present creative and practical solutions;
- Proven leadership capabilities and ability to take initiatives and drive change;
- Capacity to deal with conflicting priorities and deliver high quality work on schedule; ability to work successfully in multicultural teams and across boundaries;
- Highly motivated and proactive, committed to highest ethical standards;
- Interest in the World Bank Group and IFC’s mission, strategy and values;
- Fluent in English; other languages are a plus.